Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The trip to Chicago…

The weather forecast was not good for our trip.

Below is the weather forecast for Nov 30 and Dec 1, 2006

Event Overview:
Widespread freezing rain and sleet affected many locations in central Illinois west of I-57 on Thursday November 30.  Eleven counties in central Illinois reported ice ranging from a quarter to 2 inches thick, with the thickest ice around Decatur, Taylorville, Clinton and Mount Pulaski.  Eight counties reported heavy sleet ranging in depth from a half to 2.2 inches. This icy precipitation resulted in numerous traffic accidents, downed several large tree limbs and power lines, which resulted in power outages for several days in some spots.

The mixed precipitation changed to snow Thursday night and early Friday morning of  December 1 and ended by noon Friday.  The heaviest snow occurred along and west of the Illinois River, where snow accumulations were 8 to 16 inches. Areas east of the Illinois River, especially along the I-55 corridor had snow amounts ranging from 3 to 8 inches on top of the ice and sleet.  The snow and ice accumulations got about as far east as I-57. 

Because of this I asked my brother if he would drive up from near St. Louis and take us.  He agreed immediately. Jim was so weak that we rented a wheelchair from the pharmacy where our friend Sandi worked.  It was a Godsend.

Our son met us and we went to the hospital.  It is a huge hospital.  Our son pushed Jim in the wheelchair and we had a half dozen places and doctors in the hospital that we had to find.   It was a very sad, trying day for us all.

My brother had made motel reservations for us all close to Chicago.   I will never forget the kindness shown to Jim and me by my brother.  He took care of everything.

The next morning I tried to rouse Jim but he was unresponsive. The motel called an ambulance and he was taken to a nearby hospital.  Following is my post from 1 December 2006 on Windows Live Spaces.

“Today I lost the dearest friend that I have had for 50 years. Tomorrow would have been our anniversary.

Jim passed away this afternoon at 3:15 PM at St James Hospital close to Chicago. My heart is broken.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers you shared with us these past months. Bless you all.”

beth

6 comments:

  1. My heart bleeds just reading this. It is good to share what you went through. This is a well planned and written post on a most difficult time in your life. God bless you and comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, It must be difficult for you to share this again, I am sure by doing so you will help others, I pray too it will also bring further healing to you.

    Love & hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Beth, I remember this post as though it were yesterday. It broke my heart then and it does today. The anguish and sorrow we feel when our dearest ones pass away from us is slow to recede-- if it ever does. I pray that you will be blessed and that the pain lessen more with each year that goes by.


    Love and hugs always dear dear Beth. My friend then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, this is such a heartfelt post.. It must have been so hard that day and still ongoing for you..I'll pray for you that God will comfort your heart with peace..Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Beth. What a difficult time for you. Continued prayers for your strength, comfort, and courage.

    Hugs,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww Beth, I'm so very sorry. You are a very strong person and have made it this far, so I know you can go on - as difficult as it is at times. Hugs dear friend. I'm always available to talk if you ever need to,

    ReplyDelete

I am happy that you visited me and I would love a comment from you. I mean for this blog to be taken seriously and your input will be greatly appreciated.