Monday, August 6, 2012

Walking hand in hand with AFIB…

is Sleep Apnea.  While I was in the hospital being diagnosed with AFIB I was told that I had stopped breathing many times during the night.  How did they know this?  I was hooked up to a heart monitor.  The Sleep Apnea was the double whammy.

Of course I fought this diagnosis, thinking what next.  I was then sent to see a pulmonary doctor.  I was definitely not fond of him as he gave a thorough examination from head to toe.  I had a name for him which I won’t mention here.  Suffice to say, there were no more thorough examinations for me on follow-up visits.

I had a sleep study test done at home which I failed.  I was then told to come into the hospital for a night to have my sleep monitored.  That was quite an experience.  I had many wires stuck in my head with some nasty kind of glue and electrodes on my chest and legs.  It took 3 shampoos to get the stuff out of my hair.  Failed that too.

OK, so the diagnosis is definitely  severe Sleep Apnea.  I had to go back a couple of weeks later for another sleep study.

Tomorrow, living with the C-Pap.  beth

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sis I do remember you talking about this before and how awful it is. My GF has the same thing and she has had a terrible time with the machine.Mom didn't have the sleep apnea but she slept better sitting up or elevated than flat in bed. I do hope you are getting some rest. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be VERY difficult sleeping with that contraption on your face! I don't think I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,

    You stay on the sunny side very well, whilst coping with all this.

    It cannot have been easy at all for you. What a blessing you now live nearby your daughter and son in law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike has done wonderfully with his cpap. He sleeps so much better!
      Celeste

      Delete
  4. I hope you have not found this adjustment a difficult one to make.

    xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading all your posts I am so sad the way things worked out for you. I do know a lot of people using that CPAP machine and it works well for them. B

    ReplyDelete

I am happy that you visited me and I would love a comment from you. I mean for this blog to be taken seriously and your input will be greatly appreciated.